تحقیق در عملیات
* O.R. draws upon ideas from engineering, management, mathematics, and psychology to contribute to a wide variety of application domains; the field is closely related to several other fields in the "decision sciences" - applied mathematics, computer science, economics, industrial engineering, and systems engineering.
* O.R. is the science of rational decision making and the study, design and integration of complex situations and systems with the goal of predicting system behavior and improving or optimizing system performance. It encompasses managerial decision-making, mathematical and computer modeling and the use of information technology for informed decision-making.
As a science, O.R. traces its roots back to World War II, when military planners such as Frederick Lanchester and Patrick Blackett looked for ways to bring scientific calculations to Allied warfare against Nazi Germany. Compare also: Scientific Management.
Typical Operations Research methods and techniques
* Simulation. Giving you the ability to try out approaches and test ideas for improvement.
* Optimization. Narrowing your choices to the very best when there are virtually innumerable feasible options. And comparing them.
* Probability and statistics. Helping you measure risk, mine data to find valuable connections and insights, test conclusions, and make reliable forecasts.
* Mathematical models.
* (Complex) algorithms.
* Neural networks.
* Pattern recognition.
* Data mining, Data Warehousing.
O.R. can be used for supporting an indefinite number of business decisions.
Typical applications of Operations Research
* Capital budgeting.
* Asset allocation.
* Portfolio selection.
* Fraud prevention, Anti-Money Laundering.
* Marketing channel optimization, Customer segmentation.
* Direct marketing campaigns, Predicting customer response, Campaign optimization.
* Supply Chain Planning.
* Distribution, Routing, Scheduling, Traffic flow optimization.
* Resource allocation, Staff allocation.
* Inventory planning.
* Retail planning, Merchandize optimization.
* Product mix and blending, Industrial waste reduction