Preventing common mistakes in change processes. Explanation of Change Phases of John Kotter.
Often, creating value requires significant change. John Kotter concluded in his book "A force for Change: How Leadership Differs from Management" (1990) that there are eight reasons why many change processes do not succeed:
Eight reasons why many change processes don't succeed
* Allowing too much complacency.
* Failing to build a substantial coalition.
* Not understanding the need for a clear vision.
* Failing to clearly communicate the vision.
* Permitting roadblocks against the vision.
* Not planning for short term results and not realizing them.
* Declaring victory too soon.
* Fail to anchor changes in corporate culture.
The change phases model
To prevent making these mistakes, Kotter created the following Change Phases model. It consists also out of eight steps:
1. Establish a sense of urgency.
2. Create a coalition.
3. Develop a clear vision.
4. Share the vision.
5. Empower people to clear obstacles.
6. Secure short-term wins.
7. Consolidate and keep moving.
8. Anchor the change.
According to Kotter, it is crucial to follow the eight phases of change in the above exact sequence.
Book: John Kotter - A force for Change -
موضوع مطلب : تئوریهای مدیریت